Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

The "Flipped Classroom"

I first learned of the “flipped classroom” several years ago.  I didn't buy into the idea at first.  I’m not a lecturer, never have been, never intend to be.  So I didn't really explore the idea of creating video lessons that my students could watch prior to class.  If I never lectured to begin with, how would this work with my students.  


In the last few months, three things have happened that have made me reconsider my previous, very limited, understanding of the “flipped classroom”.  First, my district adopted the Schoology learning management system.  My students and I have been using Schoology, with much success, since last August.  Second, this past January, I received a grant for a classroom set of iPADs.  Finally, this winter I took a fantastic online course on screen-casting.

I still don’t like the term “flipped classroom”.  To me, it implies that lecture is a huge part of the classroom format and I don’t believe that lectures are an effective learning tool for most of my seventh grade students.  I do, however, see that there could be value in creating short, mini-lessons that introduce and review key vocabulary terms and concepts.  I like the idea of students being able to access these mini-lessons on their own initiative when they think it would be helpful to clarify ideas or clear up confusion.  Our iPADs and Schoology have given me the opportunity to rethink how to establish a classroom environment that pushes all students to learn and create in their own individual, unique ways.  So, I've decided to go for it and completely change what our class format looks like.  I still don’t like the term “flipped classroom”.    I much prefer “blended learning”.  In my mind, blended learning implies student ownership of their learning.  I see my role in a blended classroom more as a facilitator and a coach, than a “sage on the stage”.  I’m curious and excited to see how our classroom as well as the roles of “teacher” and “student” evolve over the next few months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment